INTERESTING TO KNOW:
By far one of the most beautiful beaches on the island, Elafonissi is situated on the south west coast. A tropical effect is created by its white and pink coral sands. Head to the right for shallow water in a small enclosed lagoon ideal for the children. A walk through the lagoon to the islet is most worthwhile as you will discover this unique coastline.
The coral sands and warm shallow waters attract swimmers, spear fishermen and windsurfers from the world over. The lovely Island is also of historical significance. 650 women and children fled to the islet during the Turkish occupation of Crete in 1841. As the women and children were hiding, the Turks camped along side the opposing beach. One of the soldiers horses happened to discover the shallow passage to the islet. Subsequently the Turks discovered the women and children and slaughtered them in a tragic massacre. There is a memorial plaque on the highest point of the islet.
- We start our trip by picking you up from your hotel or our specific pick up points and we drive you to the south west Of Crete.
- Our escort will give you all the necessary information about our tour in English,Greek or German.
- During our drive to Elafonissi we will make a 20-30 minute stop at a small traditional village called “Elos” at about 10:00a.m for breakfast .
- Our next stop is the holy Monastery of Chrisoskalitisa(translated it means the Monastery of the Golden step) for 15 minutes .It has a magnificent view over there. It is optional to enter or not. Entrance fee: 2€
- We reach the Elafonissi island about 11:30 and we stay for about 4 hours .You have plenty of time to walk through the shallow water to the island and discover the beauties of the flora and fauna and swim in the crystal clear waters of this place which is called “Cretan Maldives”.
- At our return we make our stop for lunch at Amygdalokefali village at a restaurant with magnificent view (40-45 minutes stop).
- The tour of Elafonissi in the morning goes from Topolia Gorge and at the return it goes from another road that leads to the village Sfinari .It is a round trip because we want our clients to see a different scenery at the way back.
- Return time approximately 19:00 in Chania .