INTERESTING TO KNOW:
Agia Irini gorge is located in southwest Crete near the village of Sougia. People who don’t want to walk the Samaria gorge usually chose this one as it is only 7,5 km long( 3 hours walk) and really easy. While it is not so well known as the Samaria gorge we can say that it is really beautiful with small paths and pine trees, oleander bushes and plane trees. Agia Irini gorge is one of the best gorges in Crete for the not experienced hiker although the beauty of the gorge makes it an excellent walk for the experienced, too.
- After an early wake up we will need approximately 1,5 hours until the Omalos plateau to make a short stop for breakfast and coffee.
- You will have the opportunity to admire also the entrance of the Samaria Gorge as both trips to the gorges are in the same bus.
- The bus continues the drive to the entrance of the Agia Irini gorge.As soon as you arrive you will have to pay the entrance fee for only 2€.
- Mostly people need 3 hours to walk through the gorge .After the hike the bus is waiting for you at the end of the gorge to drive you for 15 minutes to the village of Sougia. At this small but picturesque village you have time for lunch and swimming in the beautiful Libyan sea.
- At 18:00 the boat with clients that went to Samaria gorge comes back and you meet altogether to return to Chania at about 20:00.
- Please note that there is no guide accompanying you inside the gorge as it is a really easy hike. In the morning though the Samaria guide who is in the bus with you , gives you all the necessary infos.